The wonderful Kath and Jade from Panaceas Pantry have made this delicious Cherry pie recipe using freshly picked Y.V.Fresh Cherries. For more delicious recipes by them check out there socials today: @panaceas_pantry
You can use store-bought vegan shortcrust pastry or make your own. For ease, this recipe will use the bought variety... but DIY pasty is always better. Would you like a recipe for that?
To make the pies, you’ll need:
3-4 sheets of vegan shortcrust pastry.
5 cups fresh or frozen cherries.
1/4 cup corn flour.
1 cup coconut sugar.
1/4 cup pure maple syrup.
1. If using fresh cherries, wash well and then halve and pit each one.
2. Add cherries to a good quality saucepan, and cook over medium heat for approx. 5 minutes, or until the juices begin to release.
3. Turn off heat. Add the cornflour, coconut sugar and maple syrup and stir to combine. Return to the heat and cook on medium until thickened (3-5 mins), stirring throughout. Turn off heat again and set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line your preferred pie cases with shortcrust pastry, then spoons in the cherry filling. Top with remaining pastry, taking care to pinch the pastry from the base and the top together)*, brush with soy/almond milk, sprinkle with raw sugar, then bake for approx. 30 mins or until pastry is golden.
Serve hot with vegan ice cream or yoghurt!
* If you want to make the lattice on top, cut pastry into even strips and weave together! You can make lots of fun patterns, and it’s pretty fun 🍒 xx